Long term studies on GMOs and eating GM Foods does not exist
Here are facts about GMOs and genetically modified (GM) foods. If your on this website to begin with it’s probably reasonable to assume you are already looking for a healthier lifestyle for you and your family. You are encouraged to do your own research and draw your own conclusions.
- GMOs first were first implemented in 1996.
- Long term clinical trials and side effects are not available yet.
- Genetically modified (GM) foods undergo genetic mutations and are inserted with toxins, bacteria and viruses.
Studies on GMOs have shown;
- Damage to major organs such as spleen, liver and kidneys. Liver and kidneys which are excretory organs that help transport toxins from the body.
- Digestive and gastrointestinal dysfunction which obviously helps us absorb nutrients and the GI tract also represents about 80% of your immune system as well as neurological functioning.
- Allergic reactions
- Toxicity and reproductive issues
- Cholesterol synthesis
- Insulin regulation
- and the evidence is continuing to mount and not going to slow down! See USDA Trends in GE Adoption
According to American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) in 2009, “…several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food consumption including infertility, immune dysregulation, accelerated aging, dysregulation of genes associated with cholesterol synthesis, insulin regulation, cell signaling, and protein formation, and changes in the liver, kidney, spleen and gastrointestinal system.”
The AAEM further calls for, “Physicians to educate their patients, the medical community, and the public to avoid GM foods when possible and provide educational materials concerning GM foods and health risks, and to “to consider the possible role of GM foods in the disease processes” Read more…
Five major GM crops make up over 80% of the food that lines your grocer’s shelves and kitchen pantry
It is important to note that GMO labeling is NOT required by the FDA although other countries such as the entire European Union ban GMO ingredients in their foods altogether. GMO labeling in the US is voluntarily only and at discretion of the manufacturer. Foods in the US labeled organic are not permitted to contain genetically engineered ingredients (although biotech companies such as Monsanto lobby to change this) so if any of the following foods are not organic or do not have a voluntary label that states they are a non-GMO product they should be avoided all together.
- Corn (88%). Corn has viruses inserted into the DNA to help it withstand high deadly doses of weed killer and bacteria from soil is inserted to enable it to produce an insect killing repellent known as Bt-toxin. Then this corn is fed to the end consumer, humans and the majority of our nations livestock. Toxic corn includes any corn derivativs such as corn syrup, corn starch, corn meal, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), corn masa, corn flour, citric acid, etc. Popcorn is NOT genetically modified (but the soybean, canola and/or cottonseed oil its popped in most likely is).
- Soy. Soy is also manipulated with harmful bacteria and includes any derivatives such as soybean oil, soy lecithin, soy protein, soy isolate, soy isoflavones, soy sauce, soy milk, and vegetable proteins. Beware vegans and vegetarians before you decide to load up on mock meats, textured vegetable protein (TVP), tofu or tempeh as they are derived from soy and largely genetically modified when not organic.
- Sugar beets. The US’s primary source of sugar for food processed products is sugar beets. When you read a food label how many of them have sugar as an ingredient? It’s actually hard to find any that do not! Over 95% of the US sugar beet supply are genetically engineered. This means any item including sugar as an ingredient UNLESS it specifically states organic sugar or cane sugar as the source is most likely genetically engineered.
- Canola. All canola oils and any ingredients containing canola oil such as ‘vegetable oil’ are mostly like genetically modified.
- Cotton and cottonseed oil. This includes cottonseed oil found in foods.
- Also the russet potato, crooked neck yellow squash, zucchini summer squash, rice and Hawaiian papaya are known to be genetically modified.
On top of all this, recent study shows future generations are being born with these toxins in their bloodstream!
A recent study from the University of Sherbrooke in Canada found the genetically engineered Bt-Toxin primarily found in GE corn and cotton appeared in 93% of blood samples taken from pregnant women and 80% from umbilical cords. Read more…
All this being said, you have to ask yourself, Why does the European Union have a ban on genetically engineered ingredients and the US doesn’t even care to require labeling? Americans have not demanded it and are willing to pay for it! We must put our money where our mouth is and boycott GE ingredients. Corporate giants and biotech companies respond to profit margins and until GMO labeling is required we must read labels and boycott GMO foods.
Shopping for non-GMO products is a must unless you like the idea of supporting corporate greed while being a guinea pig at the expense of your health and overall access to clean safe food. The opposing argument supported by many politicians and USDA is that GMOs help sustain crops against insects and weeds and increase productivity levels in an attempt to solve food supply issues. This overly simplified argument clearly disregards (despite consensus and recommendations among scientists , scholars, accredited institutions and other countries around the globe to avoid GMOs) the fact that this food is dangerous and making our nation sick. It also increases the use of pesticides and herbicides because the weeds become resistant and thus a viscous chemical cycle is born. Must see film is The Future of Food and Genetic Roulette.
At first it’s a little overwhelming to have to read each and every label but after about two weeks it will become second nature to you and you will develop a list of safe and trustworthy brands to choose from that makes your shopping easier and your life healthier.