Gluten-Free Low Sugar Baking Class–My Take Away!
I wish I could take credit for this recipe! In my recent Gluten-Free Low Sugar Baking class at the Southwest Institute of Healing Arts (SWIHA) with Chef Rachael Albert-Matesz our class got to split up after instruction and pick a recipe to make. I made a b-line straight for the gluten-free chocolate chip brownie recipe! In moderation as a treat, I feel no guilt giving into my dark chocolate addiction. I highly recommend this gluten-free flourless chocolate chip brownie recipe (*modified vegan) which is also GMO, wheat, dairy, soy and grain free.
- 1 (16) ounce jar salted, unsweetened, roasted smooth almond butter
- 2 large eggs (*substitute 1/2 cup applesauce)
- 1 cup raw honey (*substitute 1/2 cup organic blackstrap molasses)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground unrefined sea salt (Double if using unsalted nut butter)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup gluten-free chocolate chips (*substitute vegan chocolate chips) or 73% dark cocoa bar, coarsely chopped (note-dark cocoa bar will taste less sweet than chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup water (optional) Coconut oil or palm shortening to grease pan
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Liberally grease 9 x 13 Pyrex baking dish with coconut oil or palm shortening. Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease the top again for easy release.
- In a large bowl, blend almond butter until smooth with hand blender.
- Blend in eggs*, then blend in honey* and vanilla. Batter will be very thick. If desired add 1/4 cup water.
- Blend in cocoa powder, sea salt and baking soda, then fold in chocolate chips*.
- Pour batter into dish and level with a damp spatula.
- Bake at 325 for 35 to 40 minutes. Original recipe credit: Elana’s Pantry
The brownies will fall slightly in the middle. They will firm up as they cool.